Monday, December 3, 2012

Blog 23: Focus of data

I have begun to transcribe the interview but have not completely finished

The beginning focus is the subject's family background and introduction to literacy.


Family and Life Background Story

K: Hi there! I really appreciate your time in allowing me to interview you. I wanted    to know how do you think children that come from “non-standard English” homes are affected in the traditional English speaking classroom. Ok. Could you give me your name?

C: (smiling) Sure, it’s Carolyn Martin, Kelsee

K: What are your past and current occupations?

C: Well, I used to be a bank teller and then I became a teacher. I taught for 32 years and I am currently and happily retired (Laughing).

K: (Laughing) That’s great! Could you please tell me your immediate family members and their ages?

C: Ok. My husband, Kevin Martin who I have been with for 25 years, my son Kevin Martin jr. who is 21 years old, and my daughter Kelsee Martin who is 24 years old (laughing)

K: (smiling) That’s amazing that you’ve have been with your husband for that long.

C: HaHa! Yes it has been a great journey so far…….tough at times, but great!

K: Awesome. If you do not mind, tell me what your family circumstances were when you were younger and your current family circumstances.

C: Hmmm. Ok. Well….when I was younger…I would say it was between lower and middle class. My parents had to work very hard but we were able to get all of the things we needed. Currently….. I would say definitely middle class. Happily the family is comfortable and we’ve been fortunate to get what we need and practically whatever we want. Thank God!

K: Yes. Thank God! Haha. Alright. Now could you tell me a little about yourself?

C: Sure. I am from Statesborough, Georgia and moved to Newark, New Jersey when I was 3. Let’s see….I love going to Church and writing poetry and I have very much enjoyed educating children. My life has been very pleasant and I just love having fun! You know…like going to the movies...shopping…and a whole lot more.

K: Do you remember which elementary, middle, high school, and college you attended?




C: Yes I do. The first school I went to was Avon Avenue School. After that I went to 14th Avenue School and umm then I …..can’t remember the name of the middle school but later went to West Side High School. From there I went to Rutgers University and then Kean University where I graduated. I started teaching after graduating and then I returned to Kean University for my master’s degree.

K: In school when you were younger, was your home language a good match for the classroom?

C: Uhh, yes it was. I had no difficulty in the classroom and things were fairly easy for me.

Introduction to Literature Short Story

K: Were you taught to value literacy?

C: Oh I sure was. My mom really expressed to me how important literacy and school in general was. My dad hardly ever talked about literacy or school.



The data will begin to state the subject's background, then introduction to literacy, afterwards the language at home, early school experience, language at school, then teacher experience, and lastly current exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment